Green Room!



Giving good “face” is not just about makeup. The number one problem I have as a professional makeup artist is “sins of the skin” and boy, have I seen some major issues in my career.

Skincare is a very personal choice – oily, dry, combination and then we have to deal with crow’s feet, fine lines, Rosacea and breakouts. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then our faces are the window treatments and there is nothing like bad Levelors to taint the view!

Good skincare helps cosmetics work and look their best. My sister has pretty sensitive skin, still gets the occasional pimple at 35, is starting to get a few small wrinkles and of course, being a California girl; she has skin that has seen its fair share of sun.

Recently, I noticed that my sister’s skin is looking amazing and I had to know what she was using on her face. She told me she discovered a great skincare line so naturally I asked her to write a review about it for the blog and here is what she said...

At one of my favorite local spas, I discovered the Jurlique skincare line from Australia. Since 1985, Jurlique has been a biodynamic skincare company. They grow all their ingredients and base formulas on the natural properties found in many plants. Their vision: beauty is defined by sustainable connections – to oneself, to the community, and to the earth. Jurlique farms are dedicated to biodynamic and organic farming which observes the natural cycles in the earth and growth of plants, harvesting during times of maximum living energy and efficacy. And I believe you can feel this “living energy” in the products, from the moment they touch your skin and throughout the day.

My first experience was with the Rosewater Balancing Mist. Sprayed on my face at the end of a massage, the mist has an invigorating scent and the mixture of rose and marshmallow calmed my skin.

My esthetician recommended a complete regimen: cleanser, toner and lotion. The three products complement and complete each other providing a balance and healthiness to my complexion.

I begin with the Balancing Foaming Cleanser ($45). The primary ingredients are calendula, daisy and peppermint. This cleanser is gentle but unlike many other “natural” products, my skin truly feels clean, impurities removed. Essential oils from grapefruit, lemon, lemon myrtle, and peppermint hydrate your skin without leaving it feeling greasy.



A spritz of the Rosewater Balancing Mist ($23) is my next step. While my face is still slightly damp, I apply a very small amount of the Sun Lotion SPF 30+ ($69). The combination of toner and lotion smoothes over the skin, hydrating the skin and leaving it protected and ready for primer. Sunscreen is an absolute must and I insist on it in my moisturizer as well as my foundation. Sunscreen not only prevents skin cancer but also minimizes the occurrence of skin damage and discoloration.




Jurlique’s product line is extensive and includes a variety of cleansers, exfoliators, masks, toning mists, moisturizers, age-preventers, body, sun protection, hair, specialty products and a line of skincare for the baby.

According to their site, Jurlique is one of the first and only companies with products containing natural preservative systems, and are working towards development of a natural emulsifying system. Chemical preservatives and emulsifiers can be harsh on individuals who have sensitive skin.

Their biodynamic products do not contain Parabens, Mineral Oils, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Synthetic Emulsifiers, Artificial Colors or Fragrances. Jurlique is available online at http://www.jurlique.com.au and in fine spas nationwide.

TIPS AND TRIX:

Good skincare doesn't have to be expensive! There are many great drugstore brands out there like Oil of Olay ProX, Avene and you can always stick with the tried and true, Cetaphil Cleanser and Eucerin Face Lotion!

STAY TUNED:

Up next on In My Professional Opinion...we Love Lucy!!!! Lucy B. that is and if you haven't had the pleasure of trying this product line, you will want to run to QVC, Planet Blue, Anthropologie or Fred Segal to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment