Quick Fix!


In the world of professional makeup artistry, regardless of the genre you work in, there comes a time when you need a “quick fix!”  In my world I have seen it all!  Every skin sin and irritation, those sun damaged divas, age that seems to march across the face, sleep deprived or depressive skin, the overly caffeinated and dehydrated beauties, obsessive tattooing and those unfortunate souls with self inflicted wounds that need hiding!

It is not my job to judge, discriminate or lecture…it is my job to make my clients look beautiful and feel confident (even in their out of control worlds).  So, I thought my blog post today would be about a few products which give my clients the “quick fix” they need to make it through their day and these products carry over into the “real” world which can help you get through yours!

Let’s start with skin…sometimes when I am in my makeup room waiting for my client to arrive, I fantasize about a world where everyone has gorgeous skin!  No one has to ever scrub, exfoliate, slather or endure hours of laser treatments, but alas I live and work in a world of imperfection and so I will grab the following products to help skin regain its happiness…

Embryolisse Lotion Micellaire is a product that gently cleans, softens, soothes and tones the skin without needing to be rinsed.  It does it all and it does it quickly!  It removes eye makeup, face makeup and preps the skin instantly to receive primer.  Basically, if my client is coming into the makeup room for a quick change of makeup or is arriving from a long night where most of the makeup is still on his/her face and there is no time to properly cleanse…this product saves the day!



Talika Eye Decompress patches are a model, actress/actor and my best friend!  Instantly revives tired eyes!  It is an eye treatment or a therapeutic eye “mask” if you will that nourishes the eye area and minimizes bags, fine lines and dark circles.  So soothing that I have actually fallen asleep during the 7 minutes it takes to activate this product!  Truly refreshing and a quick pick-me-up for the eyes!



SAMPAR Paris Prodigal Pen is a gift straight from the skincare gods!  I use this product to treat pimples or skin irritations caused by infected or cheap makeup, poor skincare regime and diet.  The essential oils in this product immediately calm the affected area which aides in the success of concealing.  Used over night and by following the manufacturer’s instructions of applying 5 times a day, it will heal most skin issues.  I have seen it work on blackheads, bug bites, rashes and on razor burn!



Embryolisse Baume Secours Essential Dry Skin Balm is another miracle coming to the SOS rescue for those with chronic dry, dehydrated and flaky skin.  It is like a lip balm for the face (and lips if needed).  It restores moisture instantly and I use it around the nasal labial folds, chin, forehead, etc.  Kiss that peeling, sunburned skin goodbye too!  Shea Butter, Cotton Butter, Apricot Butter and essential fatty acids along with vitamins A and E invigorate the skin.  This product is a tad bit shiny, so make sure you allow time for the skin to absorb this product and you can also blot with a tissue prior to applying other skincare or makeup.


Eve Pearl Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel is a quick, oil absorbing, sheer cover that is ideal for face, hairline and scalp (bald heads only please).  If you suffer from out of control oil or if you have an extremely oily hairline area, than this product will work wonders for you!  The best part is that it is a tinted gel that can be used alone or under foundation without altering the color.  My only complaint is that I wish this product came in a bigger tube!  I have a few bald, male clients that require this treatment prior to HD television shooting and I go through this product quickly!



Eve Pearl Tri-Fold Eyebrow Razor is a perfect tool when I need to fix a client’s eyebrows quickly!  I have also used it to groom the lip and bikini line area, trim inside the nose and ear areas, even out sideburns and to prep smaller skin areas prior to placing false tattoos (like on the knuckles of the fingers and toes – I know, I know…my job is weird)!  This tool is better than plucking because it won’t leave the area red and inflamed!



CoverBlend Leg & Body Makeup conceals a plethora of flaws!  I have used this quick cover on age spots, stretch marks, veins, bruises, birthmarks, wine stains on the face, rosacea and other skin discolorations, scars, sunburns, scratches, rashes, healing wounds and I have used it to cover tattoos (uncolored).  This product is safe to use all over the body, including the face.  It is ideal for swimming or sweating because it is water and smudge resistant.  I layer and build the color using a brush or stipple sponge and I set immediately with a loose powder and makeup fixative spray. It is suitable for all skin types and it comes in 4 colors.



CoverBlend Concealing Treatment Makeup also works well for the same conditions I stated above however, it has an SPF 20 and is light reflecting so I can not use it for HD television, but it works great for “real life” and provides all day coverage and protection.  It is a heavy coverage and thick in consistency straight out of the container, so thin it out with moisturizer or use a damp sponge when blending and build the coverage and it looks more natural on the skin when applying in this fashion.



A few quick fixes that accompany me to the set in every actor bag are M.A.C. Cleansing Tips, which are pre-saturated with a gentle eye makeup remover that soothes and calms the eyes, they are individually packaged and they will quickly fix any smear.



Jao Anti-bacterial Hand Sanitizer completely disinfects without drying the skin or smelling like chemicals.  Will leave your hands clean, moisturized and not sticky, plus it is safe to use on other parts of the body!  Bye, bye smelly arm pits, feet or…other unmentionable areas!!! 



Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets quickly soak up oil without adding more powder.  They are perfect for in between touch ups and help control product buildup around the nose, chin and forehead.  You can find them at your local drug store and they are inexpensive!  Keep them in your car, personal makeup and gym bag!



In the hair department (which I rarely blog about) are two products that I use constantly!  Sometimes on lower budget shoots, I am also the hairstylist or I need to change hairstyles during a shoot.  I do not have any formal training in this department, however after 20 plus years as a makeup artist, you learn a few things here and there from the hair Pros!

Batiste Dry Shampoo, which I recently received as gratis to try, is a waterless, dry shampoo that refreshes and revitalizes hair in between shampoos.  The key to this product is to shake the can very well and apply in spurts.  Then gently massage into the scalp, leave for a few moments and then brush out.  It’s great for very active people and takes away all the grease or oils.  Bonus is that you can purchase it from any drug store and it comes in a variety of scents and travel sizes!



Leonor Greyl Eclat Naturel is a styling cream that I like to use on hair that is already dry.  It helps detangle and sculpt hair and tams all fly-aways.  It is great to use to shape the hair with fingertips, scrunch for more curl or to smooth and straighten with a round brush and blow dryer.  Completely reconditions the hair and helps protect against hot styling tools.



PRO TIPS AND TRICKS:

To instantly whiten red, tired, irritated eyes I use Collyre Bleu Eyelights by Verseo.  These drops are individually packaged to ensure that the drops are kept fresh and sterile.  These drops also eliminate the yellow-ness in the white part of your eye area.  NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CONTACT LENSE WEARERS!




No comments:

Post a Comment